Easy domain and Hosting

Permanent short link for Go Daddy.com Just ez2.me
Spring Savings! $7.99 .com
Next time for Go Daddy: Easy to you just www.ez2.me Dadicated link for Go Daddy.com Just ez2.me

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Roger and out for Roddick's Wimbledon

LONDON: Three-time runner-up Andy Roddick and women’s second seed Vera Zvonareva crashed out of Wimbledon on Friday as Maria Sharapova survived a gutsy challenge from British 17-year-old Laura Robson.

Eighth seed Andy Roddick, beloved by the Wimbledon crowd after his epic 2009 final defeat by Roger Federer, looked a shadow of his former self in a 7-6 (7/2), 7-6 (7/2), 6-4 loss to Spanish serve-and-volleyer Feliciano Lopez.

Roddick had won all seven of his previous meetings with Lopez, but the Spaniard, twice a quarter-finalist, served brilliantly and stopped Roddick establishing his all-consuming power game.

“It’s a great win. It’s probably the best win of my career,” said Lopez, who fired 57 winners and made just seven unforced errors. He also out-aced Roddick 28-23.

World number two Zvonareva followed Roddick out of the exit door when she slumped to a 6-2, 6-3 defeat against Bulgaria’s Tsvetana Pironkova, the woman she beat in the semifinals in 2010.

Meanwhile, Murray, himself trying to move on from a record of three grand slam finals without a title, will face the Frenchman Richard Gasquet in the fourth round.
The pair have engaged in a couple of epic battles already, first at the same stage of Wimbledon three years ago and then in the first round at Roland Garros last year. On both occasions Murray came from two sets down to win.
''It was up there in terms of just the way I came back and I was pretty much out of the match,'' the Scot said of their classic in 2008. ''I think he served for the match at 5-4 in the third set, up two sets to nothing.
''Same thing at the French Open actually a couple of years ago. It's good to have in the back of my mind when I go in against him in a match like this. Even if I go behind, I can come back against him.
''It's happened twice in big matches against me. So I expect it to be a very difficult match.

No comments:

Post a Comment